Monday, September 21, 2015
“But he was wounded for the things that we did wrong. He was crushed for the sinful things we did. The punishment, which made us well, was given to him! And, we ourselves are healed by means of his wounds. We all have wandered away like sheep. Each of us has gone our own way. But Yahweh has laid upon him the guilt of us all.” (Isaiah 53:5-6 IEB)
“Christ suffered and died for your sins once for all time. He was a righteous man dying for bad men. Why? To bring you to God. Although his body was put to death, he came back to life by the Spirit.” (1 Peter 3:18 IEB).
“Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.”
I owe, so how do I pay Jesus back? What is the price of that payment? Is it a monetary one? Is it a works effort payback?
Do you remember Jesus’ parable about the servant who owed his master “several million dollars” and could not pay it back (Matthew 18:23-34 IEB)? The master cancelled his debt (v.27). How much of what he owed did he pay back? Zero! What amount is the blood of Jesus valued so one may start paying it back so he will be debt free? How much obedience is required to pay off that value so we can say “We did it”?
Some have set the price of Jesus’ blood too low! They believe they have paid the amount down in a drastic manner by:
● Their repentance,
● Their immersion for the remission of sins,
● Their attendance in the assembly,
● Their partaking each Sunday of the Lord’s supper,
● Their giving each Sunday as they have prospered,
● Their singing as commanded,
● Their efforts to teach others the Gospel,
● Their visits to the sick,
● Their encouragement to the fallen,
● Their daily efforts to be a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1).
Are these actions important? Yes, but not to pay off the price Jesus paid. To even think we can, is to down ground his blood sacrifice and make what we do just as or even more important than his blood! Here is something to think about if you believe you can pay it off!
● To pay it off, one must be perfect as Jesus was.
● To pay it off, one must be sinless as Jesus was.
● To pay it off, one must be innocent as Jesus was.
● To pay it off, one’s obedience must be perfect as Jesus’ obedience was.
● To pay if off, one must shed his blood as Jesus did.
● To pay it off, one must sit at the right hand of God, as Jesus does.
● To pay it off, one must be the Savior of mankind as Jesus is.
Anything less cheapens Jesus and his sacrifice for us. Anything less aligns us with Satan, who wished to cheapen God’s plan to save mankind. so he could remain the god of this world.
Is your “Good News” one that believes we are saved by cheap blood?